Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Why Do We Bash Teachers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey?


I’m sure we can all agree that American schools need to be modernized in order for the next generation of workers to compete in the global economy.
And by modernizing, I don’t mean holding class discussions on FaceBook, or twittering responses to pop quizzes.
No, what I’m talking about, is a reworking of our public school curriculum to teach our children, from their first days in preschool how to think mathematically, how to reason like a scientist or engineer, and how to create things that are beautiful, useful, and of lasting value to our communities.
Granted, in our wealthier school districts, this is probably happening already. But, we recently heard that the current economic crisis may cause school districts around the state to cut back programs that foster scientific and creative thinking. A school in Montgomery County, for example, is planning to close a planetarium that is housed in an elementary school.
But, in our large urban and inner ring school districts, teachers often don’t have the luxury of classroom science equipment, let alone a planetarium that costs $90,000 per year to operate. Too many teachers in our less-wealthy school districts are still hampered with out-of- date textbooks, dilapidated buildings inadequate classroom equipment, and too often, they are burdened with bloated administrations.
To make matters worse, they teach in communities where property tax burdens have become unaffordable.
All of our elected officials who are running for office at the state level are the ones who have the power to correct both the education policies and the funding streams that would make home ownership affordable, and make our public schools attractive to young families who want the very best schools for their children.
Our politicians and elected officials should focus on the power that they have to eliminate waste, fraud and abuse in school budgets, and to develop and align state curricula that will prepare students for the world of work and higher education.
But instead, too many of our politicians just point fingers, laying blame elsewhere for their indecisiveness in Harrisburg.
Who is the easy target to blame? Why, teachers. Of course.
You’ve heard the accusations: Teachers only work ten months. They have extra vacation time for Christmas, spring break. They work bankers’ hours.
God save me, if I had never been a teacher, I might have used these false impressions to get elected myself when I ran for office back in 2006. But, I have been a teacher. And, I have always taught in high poverty schools -- in Philadelphia, in Missouri, in New Orleans and in rural Louisiana. So I know firsthand, that it is a myth that “teachers have summers off, and they keep bankers’ hours.”
As this blog unfolds, I hope to explore many best education practices and best governance practices that I have uncovered as I’ve traveled the world as a teacher, a military chaplain, and a U.S. military contractor.
For now, I share this one experience, from my three years of teaching in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina. Since 2008, in every teacher workroom, there is a sign stating the teacher’s bill of rights, as guaranteed by Governor Bobby Jindal and crafted into legislation by the Louisiana State Legislature.
Legislators in Louisiana recognize that teachers deserve respect and safety if they are to be successful educators.
The Teachers’ Bill of Rights has had the effect of improving the necessary relationship between students, parents and teachers. But, it also has improved the relationship between politicians and teachers. After all, politicians and teachers share the responsibility of educating the citizenry. A good working relationship is necessary for learning communities to flourish.
I don’t know if the politicians in Pennsylvania or New Jersey need to pass such a law requiring that teachers be treated respectfully.
But I do know from my own experience, that when teachers are valued as important contributors to the life of their community, that children, adolescents, and young adults become successful learners.
Isn’t that what the education debate should be all about?

2 comments:

  1. It's the pay. My school district as an example?
    Most of the teachers with 5 years in make more than I do, and pay NO medical fees. They get a nice pension. I have worked 32 years, I pay about 10-15% of my pay for medical and my only pension is 401K plan.
    Level playing field is askew.

    I work 270 days, they work 184.
    I must trudge to work on snow days, they have off.
    I must take vacation on Christmas and Easter break. They get it off.
    They have off every Jewish/Christian Holyday, I must work. (Separation of State and Church?)

    Honestly, I am jealous. When they were making half my pay, and had those hours and benefits, I saw them sacrificing. Now that they have passed me, I want equal ground.

    My neighbors are teachers, and right now they are cruising through (their words) to get down to their beach house in Avalon, NJ. Nice 10 week break at the end of the year. My company won't let me take 2 weeks vacation back to back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DannyTheMan,
    I do not agree that teachers have all this time off, but I do agree they have more time than folks who work in private enterprise or in the military.
    If you read today's post, I think you can see that I am suggesting we do have to make budget cuts and trim back benefits, but still, the burden is on the legislature to be couragous and shape a budget that reflects our economic reality. Thanks for writing! - Marie

    ReplyDelete