Wednesday, May 26, 2010

If I Had a Bell: Immigration Justice


If I had a bell, I'd ring it in the morning. All over this land. I'd ring it for justice, for freedom, for the love between my brothers and my sisters -- all over this land.

Unless you are exclusively Native American, somebody in your family immigrated to the United States. And if you know anything about your family’s history, you probably learned from one of your relatives that they came to this country to create a better life for their families.

Generations ago, my family came to America during the Irish Potato Famine – and settled in Pennsylvania’s coal mining regions. I was married to an immigrant for many years, and my siblings have had partners who were immigrants.

Unfortunately, in hard economic times, it is too easy for legislatures to avoid their fiscal job –managing scarce resources – by creating animosity towards the weakest members of society. In tomorrow’s blog, I will talk about two odious bills that were introduced to the Pennsylvania General Assembly.

But today, beginning at 11:30, immigrants, religious leaders, and concerned people will gather at Constitution Center in Philadelphia to stand up for fair and just immigration policies in the United States. Rev. Peter Friedrichs (UU Church of Delaware County) and I will be part of the group of religious leaders in attendance.

We will ring the bells, sing, pray, and walk for immigration justice.

Please join us! Click here for more details about our campaign for fair and just immigration policies in the United States of America:
http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=9de8df64587021c3db855bbfe&id=4ffe599e5d

No comments:

Post a Comment