Sunday, March 13, 2011

Thanks to P.J. Crowley for Speaking the Truth about the Abuse of Bradley Manning!


PJ, Mike, Marie Joe Sestak
P.J. Crowley, Assistant Secretary of State and retired Air Force officer, resigned under pressure for speaking his conscience about the foolish and unnecessary mistreatment of US Army soldier Bradley Manning. Bradley Manning is being detained in solitary confinement for his role in the Wikileaks case.  Manning has been subjected to abuses reminiscent of Abu Ghraib during his interrogation.  You may already know that P.J. served the Clinton White House. Since President Obama was elected, he has done a superb job as spokesperson for the current Secretary of State.

Before I continue, let me offer my full disclosure: PJ is a friend of mine, who supported my campaign for state office back in 2006. P.J. and his wife stood by me when I testified as a Halliburton Whistleblower before the United States House Committee on Government Reform, and before the U.S. Senate Democratic Policy Committee.

I have always admired P.J.’s dignity and restraint – his patience and elegant responses during press conferences and media events that might have caused Jesus himself to flip tables on those who choose to distort the truth for profit in the media.

If you know me, you know that I can become quite animated when addressing my passionate social justice concerns. Over the years, I’ve tried to learn from P.J.’s dealings with the press. His temperament has always been gentle, but extremely disciplined.

So, when I read P.J.'s comments about the U.S. military’s treatment of Bradley Manning, I can’t help but believe that his statements to bloggers were deliberate statements of conscience – what we expect of our finest military officers and government officials. But, for speaking truth to power, P.J. lost his platform.

I read that the Obama Administration has distanced itself from P.J.’s comments, which is regrettable. But, if we are concerned with the ongoing Abu Ghraib-ness of our government’s treatment of political and wartime prisoners,  -- if we care about our image as a nation that adheres to the highest principles of military and civilian justice -- then, we need to stand behind P.J.

Right now, I have this to say to my friend: Thank you, P.J., for speaking your gentle truth in these very dangerous times.


But, it is not enough to thank P.J.  for his service to truth.  For the sake of our national integrity, we need to contact our senators and congresspersons to demand that our military interrogators abide by the Geneva Conventions and by the U.S. UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) in all dealings with prisoners under our control.    Here’s our link: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment